I’ve installed OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) on three machines in the household, and while it’s just fine mostly, I have one—significant—problem and some things I’ve learned along the way.
OS X Server
Just before El Capitan arrived, Apple released OS X Server 5 (which was rapidly bumped to 5.0.4). This Server release brings a much welcomed change. Unlike previous versions it runs on both Yosemite and El Capitan. Previously, upgrading Server has been somewhat of a pain, since the machines running Server (both headless Mac Minis in my case) and the machine running Server simply as a console, have all had to be in lockstep. The console machine could not talk to a newer, or older, Server instance, and as soon as you upgraded OS X on any machine you had to upgrade Server on that machine as well. Essentially, that meant that you had to upgrade Mac OS X and OS X Server simultaneously on all machines. (The clients are OK: Server will work with them more or less regardless of their OS version).
Great! I was able to upgrade all three machines to the new version of Server in anticipation of the later upgrade to El Capitan.
The fragility of Open Directory
Alas, things were not quite so simple. OS X Server seems to have a long standing problem, where the Master and Replica OD instances get confused. In this case, the Master decided it didn’t have a Replica any more, and the Replica decided it couldn’t run OD. OD was always off, and if you turned it on it wouldn’t offer to create a new Master or join a Replica, it just turned itself off. However, it still worked (network users from the Master were still available on the Replica). So I ignored that, pending El Capitan.
I started by upgrading the Master Server to El Capitan. Which worked fine (took a little over 30 minutes). It then needed to upgrade OS X Server when I first ran Server again.
So, while Server 5.0 runs on OS X 10.10 and 10.11, it’s not quite the same thing. While this was going on, the Replica decided its (unacknowledged) Master had vanished and immediately forgot the network users! (It was prepared, now, to replicate a master or create a new Master).
After the El Capitan upgrade, OD Replication was still broken (Replica had the network users back but did not appear linked to Master), so I did what I’ve done before: forcibly remove the Replica and add it back to the master, using
sudo slapconfig -destroyldapserver diradmin
But, when I tried to add the Replica, it refused, saying that the OS X versions of the Server had to be the same!
So, lesson learned. All the Open Directory servers have to be running the same OS X version.
Which raises the question: WHY? Is this really necessary? It’s extremely irritating!
I upgraded the Replica server to El Capitan (which is also running O3X ZFS, so I was prepared for trouble), fortunately without incident (including the ZFS upgrade), and all is now fine with my servers.
El Capitan: Mysterious Hangs at Boot time
I then upgraded the main machine to El Capitan. I had some software that I was a little concerned about (Adobe CS3) but the collective wisdom of the web seemed to indicate that it was OK, so I went ahead.
The upgrade went fine, with only a few items put into the “Incompatible Software” folder:
- GlimmerBlocker (LaunchDaemon and PrefPane)
I don’t care about the Wacom Tablet. GPGMail and GlimmerBlocker claim to be OK with El Capitan, so I reinstalled the latest versions
BOINC also would not run and asked to be re-installed (as is usual for BOINC after an OS X upgrade).
Reboot to hung screen
Then I restarted, and the machine hung.
It sits at the Apple boot screen with the progress bar at zero (no pixels of progress at all).
I restarted it several times with the same result. I restarted (Command R) into recovery mode and ran Disk First Aid. This worked and reported no problems.Then I restarted again.
It hung at the Boot Screen again.
I restarted with Verbose mode (Command V) and Single User (Command S), and it showed a Panic (but not a Kernel Panic) and stopped. Single User mode would not accept typed input.
So I reinstalled El Capitan from the Recovery Boot, which worked. I noted that it removed GlimmerBlocker, again. I put it back.
I put this down to a one off until the machine restarted (for reasons unknown) and returned me to the same hung boot screen. With the same symptoms (can boot into Recovery; Disk First Aid shows no issues; Panic in Single User Mode). I have resolved the problem the same way, by a reinstall. And I’m typing this Blog using that machine.
However, I’ve not reinstalled GlimmerBlocker, or BOINC, or GPGMail, or anything else that stopped working and asked to be reinstalled). We’ll see if it continues to work and if so I’ll consider adding back items one by one.
To be continued…